History Board A: Walkern Origins
Click the links and images for more information. Use the links above to navigate through the History Boards. Walkern History Trail is sponsored by the Heritage lottery Fund.
Bronze Age and Iron Age finds have been unearthed in the village, and fairly extensive finds from the Roman period, including some in Stanborough Common (point 8). Walkern (Walchra) is first mentioned in the Domesday book(1086) with a priest, confirming that the church had been in existence since Saxon times. The earliest Saxon church would have been built of wood, replaced by a flint and clunch (chalk) building, part of which can still be seen in St Mary?s today.
Click here for our other History Boards…
- History Board B: Walkern North End
- History Board C: The Changing High Street (I)
- History Board D: The Changing High Street (II)
- History Board E – Walkern South and West
- History Board F – The Mill to Bassus Green