« »

History Board A: Walkern Origins

by janet on 6 September 2013 · 0 comments

2013 10 06 Unveiling of Walkern History Board A 30Located in the car park opposite St Mary’s church (1), board A concentrates on the earliest part of Walkern’s history along with the area close to the parish church, including the Schoolmaster’s house (2) and the old School (3), the lost cottages along2020 board A website Bockings (4), Bridgefoot Farm (5), Wychelm Cottage (6), Stanborough Common (8), the Gorsuch Rectory (9), and the story of Jane Wenham the Witch of Walkern (7).

Click the links and images for more information.

 

 

Earliest Walkern

Bronze Age and Iron Age finds have been unearthed in the village, and fairly extensive finds from the Roman period, including some in Stanborough Common (point 8). Recent archaeology in the village has revealed finds from the Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic periods (Old, Middle & New Stone Age) as well as Bronze Age, Iron Age, Roman and Saxon periods, revealing a long history of occupation in the area.

Walkern (Walchra) is first mentioned in the Domesday book(1086) with a priest, confirming that the church had been in existence since Saxon times. The earliest Saxon church would have been built of wood, replaced by a flint and clunch (chalk) building, part of which can still be seen in St Mary’s today.


Click here for our other History Boards…

Leave a Comment