« »

The Manor of Boxbury

by janet on 5 December 2011 · 0 comments

From ?Parishes: Walkern?, A History of the County of Hertford: volume 3 (1912), pp. 151-158.
[Source: British History Online]

The manor of BOXBURY or BOXE in Walkern and Stevenage was assessed in the 11th century at 5 hides. In the time of Edward the Confessor 2 hides and 3 virgates were held by Alward, a man of Alestan of Boscombe, and half a hide by Samar, a man of Alnod. A hide and 3 virgates also in Boxe belonged to Benington. By 1086 Alward’s 2

Leave a Comment