1882 Kelly?s P.O. Directory of Herts: Walkern

by janet on 30 November 2011 · 0 comments

1882 Kelly?s P.O. Directory of Herts: Walkern

[Including notes on locations in present day Walkern]

Source: HALS

Walkern is a village and parish in Broadwater Hundred, Hertford Union, Hitchin County court district, rural deanery of Benington, archdeaconry of St Albans and diocese of Rochester, situate on the river Beane, which runs into the Lea, near Hoddeston, distant from Buntingford six miles south-west, three east from Stevenage Station on the Great Northern Railway, and 32 from London. The street forming the village is about 1 mile long. The church of St Mary the Virgin dates from about 1200 and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells dating from 1713 to 1833; there are some remains of Norman work in the arcade of the north aisle, but the greater part of the existing church belongs to the Perpendicular period; the chancel was rebuilt in 1878 in the Early English style and an organ chamber and vestry added; in a recess on the south wall is a remarkably fine effigy in Purbeck marble of a knight in complete chain mail, with armed legs, probably representing one of the family of Lanvalei, who were lords of the manor from 1160 to 1220; there are several brasses to the families of Humberstone and Bramfield, 1581-96.

The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a rectory value

Leave a Comment