Bockings, the lane opposite St Mary’s churchyard, once had a group of seven cottages along its eastern side. The three brick dwellings in the middle were called Cambridge cottages because they belonged to King’s College Cambridge, who owned the St Mary’s ‘advowson’ (the right to appoint the rector). Next door and nearest the church – the tallest buildings furthest along the lane in the photo below – were two cottages once run as a beerhouse by James and Sarah White. On the southern side of Cambridge cottages was an old thatched cottage. All were demolished in about 1960, although the footings can still be seen in the bank along Bockings.Bockings cottages in about 1910 The site of Cambridge cottages in 2012 – the footings can still be seen along Bockings. Photo by Tom McCall Bockings Cottages from the ford. St Mary’s is behind the trees on the left; the beerhouse is in the centre. Cambridge cottages in about 1910, looking along Bockings toward St Mary’s. The furthest building used to be a beerhouse.
See also Les Swain’s memories of his childhood in the 1930s at Cambridge Cottages – click the photo belowLeslie SwainAlice ‘Widow’ Clements at rear of Cambridge Cottages